Keep Your Customers Forever Podcast
Season 2 / Episode 004: Why Your Survey Results are So Wrong
The most critical metric when gathering feedback from our people is the same metric that is totally ignored. If you don’t know your RESPONSE RATE, then you won’t know if your results are meaningful or meaningless, whether interpretable or misinformation. Knowing your response rate opens much more knowledge than you realize.Read More
• Why your old professor had it right: results are only interpretable if you have high response rate.
• Our gut feeling about surveys is correct - we’re only hearing from the extremes. Here’s how to avoid this.
• Use customer feedback in ways you would normally never consider.
• Your results are meaningless without key components.
Season 2 / Episode 003: What Everyone Overlooks when Gathering Feedback
When you are looking for feedback, you need to ask in a way that people want to help you. Help them want to tell you specifics. Help them want to give more than just a vague blow off answer so you will go away. It’s frustrating to get feedback that you can’t even really use. Learn the simple steps you can take to ask in a way that they will want to respond.Read More
Doc Champagne gives us a deeper look at just 2 of his 5 principles to help us get the most beneficial feedback . He explains the how and the why to help you get exactly the type of information you were seeking.
• Some people are good at giving feedback and some aren’t, so learn the tools to help get the most useful results.
• How you ask the question is one of the most important ways to get useful feedback.
• Learn how to guide others with your questions to get more meaningful answers.
• Why should others give up their valuable time to help you? Give a specific reason why!
• Always let others know what’s in it for them.
Season 2 / Episode 02: Closing the Loop with your Audience
The greatest positive impact you can have on your “audience” (clients, members, students, attendees, customers) is to “close-the-loop”: share back some results you gathered from the surveys they answered. This proves that their voice was heard, shows them how they compare to others and is the biggest WIIFM (what’s in it for me) possible.
• The technology has long existed to easily do this, so why aren’t you doing it?
• There is a right and wrong way to close-the-loop, but it is far more forgiving than violating other Principles of Customer Feedback
• Your audience will feel more engaged and connected with your organization even though they are simply filling out an online survey!
• Closing-the-Loop makes your audience WANT to respond to your questions again and again.
Season 2 / Episode 001: Goals are for Losers
Goals don’t work for most people. We’ve known this for 45 years, when “goal setting” as a lone motivational tool was abandoned by even its most ardent researchers. Yet the smooth-talking goal gurus continue to pitch their goal planners, goal journals and goal setting courses (discounted just in time for the New Year!). Instead, you need SYSTEMS, which work for everyone.
- Create SYSTEMS to achieve goals – don’t create goals without systems
- When you set goals, you are failure every day until you reach your goal – why would you want to live this way?
- Follow the system and “the score takes care of itself”
- “Even the very wise cannot see all ends” – stop pressuring yourself with lifetime goals
- Use triggers, personal dashboards, and create a system to achieve all you want out of life
We can be super choosy. With so many people selling us tools and methods and apps that (they say) we absolutely MUST have for our business or our life, let’s use a solid criterion for selecting. If their proof of results consists of “it worked for me so it will work for you”, then hide your wallet. If the proof is based on independent empirical data and is couched in the solid research of others, then it may be a good choice.
• There is real “medicine” out there in the form of psychological principles that have been tested and demonstrated over decades. Take the medicine because it works.
• There are far more people selling banana-jalapeno-cinnamon milkshakes because it worked for their particular case one time so they mistakenly think it will work for other people in other situations. Huge mistake!
• Even ideas that are totally bogus will work sometimes just by coincidence. So when a tool or gizmo or method doesn’t work for you, don’t waste time re-studying the method and thinking about what YOU did wrong. If you were sold on “it works for me it will work for you” then it’s not you – it’s the tool that doesn’t work!
You’ve seen others use it and wonder if you should use it yourself: the technique where you segment or bucket prospects. This practice violates several psychological principles and most are methodologically unsound so that you drive people away, gather misinformation and make some people think poorly of you. Avoid it. Here’s why.
• As it is popularly used, this practice suffers from methodological errors and violates principles of psychological measurement with the predictable result of lower response rates and uninterpretable results.
• We like to think we are complex and have many layers to us, so don’t then assume others can be simply described by one and only one category. Use surveys to extract the full depth and complexity of those you want to pull into your orbit.
• As I’ve preached before, treat prospects as you would a first date. Would you ask your date a single question (“Are you adventurous, creative, reserved or intelligent? You can only pick one!”) and then design the evening around that bucket? Not unless you want your date to run away, and that’s what your customers are doing.
We need to stop trying to satisfy our customers, members and clients, and focus on turning them into LIFERS - folks that aren't going to leave us for a lifetime. Here are the 3 billion reasons why.
• Of the 3 billion people coming onto the internet in the upcoming years, many of those will be building products and services. Some just like yours! Your competitors have just multiplied exponentially!
• It is no longer enough to just “satisfy” customers in this competitive field. You need LIFERS. You need them focused on you and not looking to the next shiny new object.
• Entrepreneurs must continually and accurately gather customer feedback and act on it in a meaningful and transparent way to Keep their Customers Forever.